Documents Needed for Travel for Scholars and Employees

It is strongly recommended that you always carry your original documents when traveling internationally and within the US.

J-1 Scholars and their dependents

H-1B Employees and their dependents

  • Original, unexpired Form I-797 Approval Notice
  • Valid H-1B/H-4 visa
  • Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • Entire H-1B packet you received from OIA, including Form I-129, Labor Condition Application, and supporting documents
  • Travel Letter from OIA (request at least one week before traveling)
  • Copy of offer or invitation letter, or employment verification letter from department

NOTE:  Please visit our section on Automatic Visa Revalidation if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean islands.