Spouses and Partners of International Students, Scholars, and Employees

Welcome to Chicago! This page is a resource for spouses, partners, and family members of international students, scholars and employees.

Join the International Spouses and Partners Group!

To network with current and incoming international partners, join the International Spouses and Partners Group.  You may connect with this group by joining the International Spouses and Partners mailing list. You do not need an UChicago email address to subscribe.

Dual Career Services

The Dual Career Services Office serves University faculty and their spouses and partners.

Resources and Activities

Family Resource Center
The Family Resource Center is a great source of information and programming for UChicago community members with children. Parents can join the student parent email list (you can join even if you are not a student).

Campus Card for Student, Scholar and Employee Spouses
Student, scholar, and employee  spouses can apply for a Campus Card to enter the library, but are not able to borrow materials* or ride the CTA for free.  To apply, the spouse will need to present a photo ID, such as a passport, and be accompanied by the student, scholar, or employee, who will also be required to present his/her UChicago ID.  You can apply at the Regenstein Library ID & Privileges Office.

*Tenure track faculty members and upper level academic staff can request a card for a spouse with the privileges to borrow books.

English Corner for H-1B Employees, J-1 Scholars, and their Spouses

English Corner is a free, informal Conversational English Class offered to H-1B Employees, J-1 Scholars, and all Spouses. The instructors are native English speakers who engage participants in cultural discussions while promoting communication skills. English Corner offers a warm learning environment that strives to promote fellowship and friendship.

Volunteering is a great option for those who are not allowed to work in the U.S., or who want to gain U.S. work experience before finding a job. Volunteering is also a good way to become familiar with the community. The University Community Service Center can help you find volunteer opportunities that match your skills, availability and interests.

Working at the University of Chicago
Spouses in J-2 with work authorization can contact the Human Resources Department for employment opportunities at the University of Chicago. In order for J-2 dependents to apply for an Employment Authorization Document/Card, the application materials include:

  • Form I-765;
  • Form I-765 fee;
  • 2 passport-style photos
  • Copy of the current DS-2019 of the J-2;
  • Copy of the current DS-2019 of the J-1;
  • Copies of Forms I-94 of both the J-1 and J-2;
  • Letter from the J-2 stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support for the principal participant, and specifically how the income derived from employment will not be used for the support of the J-1 exchange visitor. A J-2 does not need to demonstrate financial need to receive employment authorization.
  • Although not specified in the instructions to Form I-765, some applicants have also reported receiving RFEs asking the applicant to submit evidence of the J-2's relationship to the J-1 (e.g., marriage certificate for J-2 spouse or birth certificate for J-2 child).

If permission for employment is granted, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. Although the regulations permit employment authorization to be granted for up to 4 years at a time, USCIS may decide to grant a shorter period. J-2 employment authorization expires with the expiration of the EAD, and the mere filing of an application for new authorization does not permit employment during the adjudication process. J-2 EAD applicants are not eligible for the automatic 180-day extension of their EAD while a renewal EAD is pending

A J-2 spouse or dependent child must file Form I-765 with all supporting documentation each time an extension of employment authorization is necessary. Since the EAD will generally not be issued for longer than the validity of the DS-2019, any necessary extension of stay of the J-1 must be processed prior to the application for extension of J-2 employment authorization. To avoid interruptions in J-2 employment authorization, the J-2 applicant must file the Form I-765 for extension of employment authorization sufficiently in advance (but no more than 180 days in advance) of the current grant of authorization, so that the EAD extension application is approved before the expiration. If the current EAD expires while the Form I-765 is pending, the J-2 must cease employment until receiving the new EAD

Working in Higher Education Institutions in the Chicago Area
Those interested in working in higher education can also use look at postings on the Greater Chicago Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium.

Dependent Spouse Visa Information

Per U.S. government regulations, only married spouses can obtain a dependent visa status. The student, scholar or employee can add a dependent spouse to his or her record, and the spouse can then obtain a dependent visa status (F-2, J-2 or H-4). 

These dependent statuses do have certain restrictions:

  • F-2 spouses cannot work and also cannot study unless the study is “vocational or recreational in nature.”  Recreational classes may include things like language, cooking, or writing courses, but cannot lead to academic objective or degree.
  • J-2 spouses can study, and work if they first obtain work authorization.
  • H-4 spouses of H-1B workers are allowed to study, but they cannot work.

For students, the choice between F-1 and J-1 status will affect their spouses’ work and study options. Please visit our admitted student website to explore qualification requirements and other differences between F and J status.

Adding a Dependent

To add a dependent spouse to your F-1 or J-1 student status, please review the steps on our Adding a Dependent page.
To add a dependent spouse to your J-1 scholar status, please complete this J-1 Scholar Request to Add Dependent form

Other Visa Options

Spouses and partners can also apply for an independent visa status.  Options may include:
1) Visit in B status. For partners who do not want to stay in the U.S. long-term but do want to visit, the B visitor visa is an option. Stays are limited in duration and B visitors must demonstrate non-immigrant intent.
2) Study full-time and obtain a student visa. Many partners choose to study at the same time, so that both partners can obtain independent student visa statuses. The international student office at the school where the partner will attend will sponsor the student visa.
- Learn more about studying at University of Chicago.  Note that most programs at the Graham School of of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies do not qualify students for an F-1 or J-1 visa./
- Learn more about studying at other universities in Illinois
3) Find a job and obtain a work visa. Though not particularly easy, some partners have found jobs that sponsored them for a work visa.  The work visa paperwork will be done by an immigration attorney or experienced human resources department at the employer.

Popular work visa options include:
a. Transfer visa (L-1): Partners currently working for multinational companies could look into transferring to a local office, and obtaining an L-1 visa.
b. H-1B visa: Partners with at least a bachelor’s degree equivalent or higher can obtain an H-1B visa for work within their field.
c. TN visa: A work visa for citizens of Canada and Mexico
d. E-3 visa: A work visa for citizens of Australia

OIA does not provide immigration advice for work visas outside of the University of Chicago, but we will provide a reference list of immigration attorneys in the Chicago area upon request.