SSN Support Letter Request Form

To apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) based on on-campus employment (F-1 or J-1) or Academic Training (J-1), you will need (1) an offer letter from your employer as well as (2) a SSN support letter from OIA. You can complete the request form below to request a SSN support letter from OIA.  Note: If you have CPT or OPT, this letter is not required.

Full list of documents to bring to the SSA:

  1. Completed SSN Application Form
  2. Valid Passport
  3. F-1 or J-1 Visa sticker (found in passport; OK if expired. NOTE: Canadian citizens are exempt from needing a visa sticker and will not be required to submit a copy as part of the application for a SSN).
  4. Printout of current I-94 electronic record
  5. Valid Form I-20 or DS-2019
  6. For those with on-campus employment or J-1 Academic Training, you will also take the above-mentioned employer letter and the SSN support letter from OIA. (If you have CPT or OPT, this letter is not required. Your CPT i-20 and EAD card are sufficient proof of work authorization).

For more details about the SSN process and locations where you can apply, click here.

Student Information
You can upload your employer offer letter here. If you need a template to reference, you can find one here.
Delivery Options
The SSA (Social Service Administration) is currently requiring "wet" (not scanned) signatures for SSN applications. Therefore, we will need to mail you the SSN support letter instead of sending it via email since we are operating remotely. Please indicate your preferred mailing method below.
Note: If you have chosen to receive your document via USPS regular mail, you can just list "N/A" here and please include your desired mailing address in the fields below.
Please input in the following format: Street Number, Street Name, Apt or Unit number (if any), City, State and Zip Code (Example: 1245 University Street, Apt 100, Chicago, IL, 60637
By submitting this form, I confirm that I am either an F-1 or J-1 student working on-campus or a J-1 student on Academic Training. I understand that if I am on CPT or OPT, I do not need to request this letter as it only applies to the abovementioned situations. Enter "Yes" above.