To apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) based on on-campus employment (F-1 or J-1) or Academic Training (J-1), you will need (1) an offer letter from your employer as well as (2) a SSN support letter from OIA. You can complete the request form below to request a SSN support letter from OIA. Note: If you have CPT or OPT, this letter is not required.
Full list of documents to bring to the SSA:
- Completed SSN Application Form
- Valid Passport
- F-1 or J-1 Visa sticker (found in passport; OK if expired. NOTE: Canadian citizens are exempt from needing a visa sticker and will not be required to submit a copy as part of the application for a SSN).
- Printout of current I-94 electronic record
- Valid Form I-20 or DS-2019
- For those with on-campus employment or J-1 Academic Training, you will also take the above-mentioned employer letter and the SSN support letter from OIA. (If you have CPT or OPT, this letter is not required. Your CPT i-20 and EAD card are sufficient proof of work authorization).
For more details about the SSN process and locations where you can apply, click here.