Change of Address for J-1 Scholars and H-1B Employees

Change of Address:

All foreign visitors in the U.S. have to report any changes of their address to the government within 10 days. For individuals in J-1 and F-1 status, the Office of International Affairs has the ability to update the address through the SEVIS database. OIA cannot update the address for individuals in other statuses, such as H-1B, O-1 or for holders of a “green card.”


All J-1 scholars are required to report any address change to OIA within 10 days of moving. Please submit changes by completing the J-1 Scholar Change of Address Form. Once this information is received by OIA, your adviser will update your address in SEVIS. You should also provide your Department Administrator with your new address.


Each individual in H-1B status is responsible for updating his or her address in a timely fashion (i.e. within ten days) to USCIS by filing a form AR-11. This form can be completed online or can be sent to USCIS via mail. Please be sure to retain a copy of the AR-11 form for your files. Filing this form is free of charge. Please visit the USCIS website for the most recent AR-11 form, or click here. You should also provide your Department Administrator with new address.