Information for Attorneys
OIA's role in Lawful Permanent Residence (LPR) applications is limited to the following:
- Entering positions into the Illinois Job Link site and collecting resulting documentation, if needed;
- Responding to the Department of Labor survey in which 4 points are confirmed and which allows the Labor Certification Application to move forward.
- Advising members of the University community on general matters involving LPR or other statuses relevant to employment,
- Collecting statistical data regarding LPR applications in the institution, and
- Acting as repository of documentation, such as Public Access Files, for all cases in the University.
Attorneys filing Labor Certification applications for employees of the University should provide OIA with a form letter on letterhead or an e-mail message containing full contact information, stating that the law firm has been authorized by the University of Chicago to handle the LPR application of [name of beneficiary] in the department of [name of department] for the position of [job title].
This communication must reach our office before we receive the DOL e-mail message with the link to the survey, so that we can respond in a timely fashion. Letters can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to:
Tamara Felden, PhD
Office of International Affairs
The University of Chicago
1414 E. 59th Street, Room 291
Chicago, IL 60637
Fax (773) 702-3058
Documents such as forms G-28 and I-140 are signed by Tamara Felden on behalf of the University and can be sent to the address above. Employment verification letters should be requested from the beneficiary's department; the Human Resources Administrator there has the most up-to-date information.
Attorneys for whom our office enters job postings into Illinois Job Link must also provide detailed information on what is to be entered into the site at each step. Those who require their own sub-account under the University's profile in the PERM system should contact OIA.
Should you have any questions about these procedures or any other matter regarding LPR applications at the University of Chicago, please send e-mail to Tamara Felden at firstname.lastname@example.org.