In order for OIA to issue J-1 documents (Forms DS-2019) to "Exchange Visitors"1 who come to the University of Chicago to conduct research, to teach, or for related activities the following criteria must be met:
- The Exchange Visitor is offered a temporary appointment or agreement endorsed by the Department Chair or representative. It must not be a tenure track position.
The Exchange Visitor holds credentials consistent with the regulatory requirements:
- Teaching appointments must have training and competencies appropriate to the field.
- Researchers must have at least a Bachelor's degree and relevant experience.
- The Exchange Visitor meets the English language requirement.
- The Exchange Visitor has demonstrated minimum funds to cover the cost of the visit.
- All individuals in J-status must hold insurance that meets the regulatory requirements.
1.) The term "Exchange Visitor" is a regulatory term and encompasses researchers (including Postdoctoral Researcher, Visiting Scholar), Visiting Professors and Specialists (individuals whose activities do not fall within the former categories). The J-1 categories that are available are J-1 Research Scholar, J-1 Short-Term Scholar, J-1 Professor and J-1 Specialist. Click here for more information on J-1 status and the above categories.