J-1 Scholar Sponsorship Requirements

In order for OIA to issue J-1 documents (Forms DS-2019) to "Exchange Visitors"1 who come to the University of Chicago to conduct research, to teach, or for related activities the following criteria must be met:

  1. The Exchange Visitor is offered a temporary appointment or agreement endorsed by the Department Chair or representative. It must not be a tenure track position.
  2. The Exchange Visitor holds credentials consistent with the regulatory requirements:
    • Teaching appointments must have training and competencies appropriate to the field.
    • Researchers must have at least a Bachelor's degree and relevant experience.
  3. The Exchange Visitor meets the English language requirement.
  4. The Exchange Visitor has demonstrated minimum funds to cover the cost of the visit.
  5. All individuals in J-status must hold insurance that meets the regulatory requirements.

1.) The term "Exchange Visitor" is a regulatory term and encompasses researchers (including Postdoctoral Researcher, Visiting Scholar), Visiting Professors and Specialists (individuals whose activities do not fall within the former categories). The J-1 categories that are available are J-1 Research Scholar, J-1 Short-Term Scholar, J-1 Professor and J-1 Specialist. Click here for more information on J-1 status and the above categories.