Current F-1 and J-1 Students

Maintaining Status


Employment and Work Authorization

Employment Resources for International Students

Work Authorization:
You will need work authorization for whatever work you do.  You must have work authorization before you start any job.  There are several different types of work authorization available for F-1 and J-1 students.  Some work authorization types do not require additional approval/permission from our office; some require work authorization that takes three months to obtain through the government.  The type of work authorization you need depends on the type of job you have, so it is important to understand your options ahead of time.  Read more about each type of work authorization below. 

Watch the video to learn what kind of work authorization you will need :





Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Academic Training (AT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Severe Economic Hardship

International Organization

J-2 Dependent: Employment Authorization

Severe Economic Hardship



Helpful Links