Employment with an International Organization

If you are an F-1 international student and have a job offer from one of the recognized international organizations to work in the U.S. before the completion of your academic program, you can apply to USCIS for off-campus work authorization without using your OPT time. 

General Guidelines

  • You must be present in the U.S. in F-1 status (there is no 9-month waiting period, like for other off-campus work authorizations);
  • You have a job offer from one of the internationally recognized organizations linked above
  • The job will occur in the U.S. (this is a U.S. work authorization only)
  • The work occurs before your I-20 end date
  • You must otherwise maintain F-1 status (e.g. be full time enrolled for at least three courses each quarter)
  • Employment does not have to be related to your current course of study;
  • An official job offer letter on the organization's letterhead is required;
  • You must apply to OIA for recommendation and to USCIS for authorization;
  • An Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) from USCIS is required before beginning work (usually takes 3-4 months for processing);
  • Authorization is granted by USCIS for the specific dates listed in the job offer letter, but is granted in increments of no more than one year;
  • You can be authorized by USCIS for full-time employment; and
  • Important note: This employment will not take away from your OPT or CPT authorization time limits.

Applying for International Organization