J-1 students currently attending the University of Chicago who wish to transfer from their current program sponsor to the University of Chicago (as sponsor) must consult with both their current sponsor and OIA.
To be eligible for a transfer, the J-1 category must remain the same (although you may move to a higher academic level, i.e., from a Bachelor's program to a Master's program).
The deadline for J-1 students to transfer is the program end date listed on your DS-2019.
Steps to transfer your J-1 Status to UChicago:
Notify your current sponsor that you intend to transfer your visa sponsorship to the University of Chicago and follow all requirements they have for releasing your SEVIS record.
The adviser will enter a SEVIS release date into your record. On this date, your SEVIS record will automatically transfer to the University of Chicago via an electronic process.
In order for OIA to prepare a new DS-2019, the following documents are required:
- Academic and Financial Review Form (AFR) and acceptable financial documentation: Please follow the instructions at the above link to complete the AFR and to see the criteria for acceptable financial support documentation.
- Completed Transfer-In Form
- Copy of passport biographical page/s (those showing your name and photo)
- Copy of your current DS-2019
- Approximately one week after submitting the above-listed documents, and the SEVIS release date being reached, you will receive a new DS-2019 from OIA.
- Students must then check-in with OIA immediately upon receiving the new DS-2019 or, if traveling abroad immediately after the transfer, within one business day of arriving in the U.S. The check-in process must be completed within 30 days of your SEVIS transfer release date or your SEVIS record will be terminated.